Saturday, January 19, 2013

Bye bye Canada, hello India!




I smelt that warm and familiar air as soon as the airplane hit the tarmac.  Though experiencing two cycles of day and night while flying here, my anticipation for India prevented any sound sleep on the airplane.  Wiping my eyes and letting out a few yawns, I was definitely washed over with tiredness when we touched down. But with that first hazy look out the window, and that first whiff of India, I felt alive and vital. Moreover, I felt grounded and safe.
            Calcutta airport can be a bit overwhelming at first, with hoards of taxi drivers and beggars running to greet you at first sight, honks that seem as frequent birds singing in the spring, and a traffic situation that no amount of planning or policing can control.  Despite this, the charm of India also quickly sets in.: The warm sun, the colors of the clothing, the vintage taxis, the unique architecture and the trees which canopy the people on the streets. My grampa’s sister (or my dad’s ‘Chachi’) hired a driver to pick us up. He wore a white suit, a spiffy driver’s hat, and had a moustache that would make my Movember-ite friends go green with envy. We got in the car and my eyes were filled with the colors and smell of hOMe.
            Calcutta (or Kolkata) was derived from  the combination of three villages: Kalikata, Sutarnuti and Govidopur. Before the British arrived in India, these were three independent villages. When the British arrived in 1690 they combined these into one city: Calcutta. Located in West Bengal, Calcutta was the capital of India during British rule. Being a port, it served as the most prominent Eastern port for import and export of everything from spices, to teas, to jewels. Long before Bombay was developed as a port, and before New Delhi was deemed the capital, Calcutta was the hub was for the British. Fragments of British can still be found here: Christian schools with English uniforms, architecture reminiscent of Victorian times, and some of the greatest violin (and other instrument makers) are still a strong cornerstone of Calcutta society. Now Kolkata (due to India asserting it’s Independence through minor phonological changes in city names), it’s a city that fills me with intrigue and wonder.  
            I’m here namely for my cousins wedding, which is to take place in a week. I hear the weddings are epic! After which I will be doing some rugged backpacking and train travels with my best friend. I look forward to sharing this journey with you…
Tweets by @Cardamonics